HISTORY & BELIEFS OF GRACE BAPTIST CHURCH
VISION FOR GBC
While serving with Susan in a church in Bicester, England, Pastor Sligh was encouraged by his mission board to consider starting a Baptist church in Grafenwoehr, Germany to minister to the Grafenwoehr-Vilseck military communities. This was prompted by news of a dramatic increase in the overall number of troops to be stationed in the Grafenwoehr military community in the near future. After a survey trip to Grafenwoehr and prayer for God’s will, they felt God’s leading to move to Germany and start a church in Grafenwoehr that would preach God’s Word clearly and practically with balance and relevancy, reach out to win soldiers and their families to Christ, and help those who have found Christ to grow in grace.
HISTORICAL LANDMARKS AT GBC:
- 2003 – Grace Baptist Church started as a mid-week Bible study in September.
- 2004 – First Sunday services held on May 2 at the Grafenwoehr Stadthalle (town hall). The church was formally organized on July 18, 2004 and Chuck Sligh was called to be the pastor.
- 2005 – New ministries launched: K.I.D.S. Church, missions program, teen ministry, ladies ministries, monthly men’s prayer breakfast, Sunday evening children’s program. First deacon, Larry Johnson, elected.
- 2006 – Purchase and initial remodeling of our present building. Dedication Service for new building: December 3, 2006.
- 2007 – Year of building and construction, partially with the help of a missions team from the U.S.
- 2008 – Major reconstruction projects finished by mid-February. Assistant missionaries Steve and Debbie Kissling joined our staff.
- 2009 – Three important new ministries started: Sunday School, homegroups (small group studies in homes throughout the Grafenwoehr-Vilseck military communities) and our Downrange Soldiers and Families ministry to minister to families of soldiers deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan.
- 2010 – Four deacons elected. Record attendance on Easter Sunday.
- 2012 – Year of Change with deactivation of 172nd Infantry Brigade and new units arriving through the end of 2013
- 2013-2018 – Incremental complete remodeling and renovating of our church building.
- 2014 – German Women's Bible Study begun
- 2015 – Korean Women's Bible Study begun
- 2016 – Building mortgage paid off in full!
- 2019 – Large influx of soldiers into Grafenwoehr military community.
We welcome you to come and grow with us!
STATEMENT OF FAITH
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, and authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that men are justified by grace alone through faith alone and are accounted righteous before God only through the merit of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
- We believe that justification establishes an eternal relationship that can never be broken.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by who’s indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.